Tuesday, August 02, 2005

50th Smog Day in Toronto

As of 3 p.m. today, we have reached the 50th Smog Day in Toronto this year.
I started keeping track because neither the City of Toronto nor the Province keep an accurate count, in my opinion. Any day
that exceeds an AQI of 32 is a Smog Day.
A very good friend of mine who bikes every day came to visit me at work today. He
told he just came from the doctor who has diagnosed him with asthma. I'd hate to think what the smog is doing to children, the elderly and animals. I have written to Dr. David McKeown, the Officer of Public Health for the City of Toronto, to ask how many Smog Days it takes before it's an emergency. The response was less than comforting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The view from my apartment a few minutes ago:
Smogtastic!

Anonymous said...

man, vic, that picture looks like it could be a city here in the US. our government, unfortunately, could care less about what it's actions are doing to the environment. i would hate to be the next president of our country. he/she will have a lot of work to do....... :-(

-chad

Tino said...

Smogtastic. LOL. Good one.
So funny it hurts.

Anonymous said...

What was the doc's response?

Tino said...

Paul,

The Doc invited me to his conference on Smog in the fall.
Not sure if I can survive that long. I sent him the findings of the conference in 1998 which conlsuded that smog is killing us.
It's business as usual I guess.