Monday, August 14, 2006

Lifeguard on the Don

Just about the only part of this whole city that scares me at night is the bit of bike path that connects Cherry/Lakeshore with the eastbound bikeway on Lakeshore. Especially the bit that's enclosed by fences and entirely unlit just before the double gate that slows you to a walking pace.

Saturday night I was on my way home from the Islands and stopped to chat with a friend just as I was making the choice of (a) scary unlit bike path, (b) scary highway-esque strip of Lakeshore or (c) detour down to gravelly Commissioner's. I finally decided to take the path, but not until I found an eastbound cyclist to ride with. I ended up riding to Coxwell and Dundas with the first person who happened along: a very congenial 43-year-old Moroccan ex-lifeguard who likes to ride a loop between Jamieson/King and Coxwell/Danforth to stretch his legs (when he's not playing with his four-year-old daughter). I don't know his name, but he's one of those folks who makes me feel good about liking and trusting this city as much as I do.
– Sarah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe after something really bad happens in that unlit part the city will put lights up.

Anonymous said...

that section scares me too! It's definitely one of those "imagination running wild" types of places. Probably totally harmless, but what if *blank* jumps out of the bushes???

where blank could equal about 9238492 different Bad Things... you know, like a big rabid raccoon. :P

-wes

Darren said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darren said...

Places like that sometimes show the divide between men and women. Men at worst have to worry about being mugged, women in areas like that have to be more worried about sexual assault. That lack of lights is so much more personal to them than us. Sad fact, but putting a few lights will not break the city.