Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Memorial for Cyclist killed on Pharmacy Ave.

A cyclist memorial will be held for a forty-year-old cyclist who was killed last Sunday. ARC marks these deaths on our roads with a memorial because those dying are our fellow cyclists. It could happen to anyone, it could happen to any one of us. It doesn't matter if the cyclist is at fault, rich or famous, what matters is that a cyclist has died. ARC will hold a public memorial at 12 noon, Sunday September 9th, at the site of the crash.

We would like to remind the public that the killer in this case is still on the loose.

When: Sunday September 9th 12 noon.
Where: Riding from Spadina and Bloor, leaving at 10am.
Mid-way meeting point at Victoria Park Station (outside west pedestrian entrance) at appx. 11am., departing 11:15am for memorial site.

Memorial site. 12 noon. Beneath Pharmacy Ave bridge over railway north of Lawrence. Please bring flowers.

Sept. 5th, 2007. In Memory of my friend, Patrick Lonergan, by Bill Sukloff.
"I've known Patrick since he was a child. He was a friendly,
outgoing man. Being mentally challenged, he's had many hurtles to
overcome during his 40 years. He lived in a group home located close
to where he was killed. He loved biking around the city, and always
wore his helmet and had lights front and back when he rode at night.
He often would wake up in the middle of the night and ride to his
favourite coffee shop. He would stay off the main roads as he felt
safer on side streets. He was very excited Saturday evening as he and
I were going to the Air Show the following day.
I became closer to Patrick since his parents died a few years ago. We
biked along the Martin Goodman trail and played his favourite game of
miniature golf many times. I think he was the happiest he's been in a
long time. I know my life has been more meaningful since I became a
close friend of Patrick. I was thinking a while ago that I should
tell Patrick he is one of my best friends. I hope he knew how I felt."

No comments: